[stylist] Blindness and fashion

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 12 18:10:50 UTC 2013

Lynda,

Yes, I completely understand, grin. I think our individual styles
differ, but I love color and clothes, and I keep up with current trends.
I find what trends I like, and when shopping, I usually know what I'm
looking for.

My style tends to be classic but very feminine. I like simple cuts with
feminine flares. I tend to do more basic versions of current trends.
Like for Christmas, I bought a tea-length dress that's red with a black
lace over-lay. It has cap sleeves and a deep crew neckline with
scalloped detail around the neckline. I have a red and black vintage
looking necklace that lays across the exposed neckline and a bracelet to
match. I have four-inch high Betsy Johnson shoes that are black lace and
look a little like they are from the 40's. I like to mix vintage
accessories with current trends. My make-up was simple except for
dramatic eyes and a red lip. My hair was pulled back in a chignon.

My every-day wardrobe is much more relaxed these days since I have a
six-month-old and am a stay-at-home mommy right now, but even my yoga
clothes match and are colorful. My husband makes fun of me because I
like my jimjams (as we call them) to match. Don't ask me why, just one
of my OCD things, ha-ha! Jeans and t-shirts have always been my version
of sweats, but even when I wear them, which again, these ays I do a lot
of, I wear more fitted v-neck T's with denim that's fitted and usually a
darker wash. To spice it up a bit, I'll wear jewelry and cute shoes,
though earrings and necklaces are not worn often since Declan is pretty
handsy . My favorite shoes these days are ballet flats. I have several
in several colors. They are cute and can dress things up but practical
and comfortable.

I love, love, love shoes though. I have an extensive collection of
shoes, and I even recently threw out a few for a garage sale, and I
still have a lot. You gotta have a shoe for each occasion, grin.

I prefer skirts and dresses in the warm months. Again, my personal style
is usually more feminine though not necessarily flouncey, frilly or
too-much detail. Like I said, I have a more classic version of feminine-
picture the little black dress, smile.

And I love scents too. Even if just a lotion, I like a little something.
When I was younger, I loved fruity scents, but now that I'm older, I
prefer scents that are a little more sophisticated. I have different
fragrances for different occasions.

Losing my vision didn't make me lose my sense of style or enjoy clothes
and all that entails. I'm lucky that my mom and I share similar taste,
and I trust her opinion when it comes to fashion and decorating for that
matter. We bought a house last June, and we are still decorating because
my mom's opinion is the only one I trust, and she's busy as she teaches
Kindergarten and has a dance studio, so it is taking time for us to shop
and evaluate what we want to do.

Bridgit
Message: 30