[stylist] More on article showing what parents and kids are facing

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Sun Feb 17 19:54:27 UTC 2013

Bridgit,
I hear you. After college, my VI counsellor got me an interview at a local
sheltered workshop. At first I thought they wanted me to be some sort of
supervisor. Then, I asked what I would be doing. I was told that I'd be
putting erasers on the ends of pencils. I was furious and did not go to the
interview. I couldn't believe that the state, which had paid for my college
education, wanted me to work in a sheltered workshop. And, this was just
after graduation; it wasn't like I'd been looking for a while and couldn't
find anything. To me, it's like saying that not only don't they have any
faith in my abilities, but they were willing to waste taxpayer money on an
education I wouldn't have needed to do the work they had in mind for me.

It took me almost two years to get a job with the state as a wellfare
caseworker. That had its problems, but at least I was making a living.
Donna