[stylist] Working in blindness field

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 18 20:09:58 UTC 2013

Julie,

First, I'm not saying this is a bad thing. Without fellow blind people
working in the field, we have little chance of continuing to develop a
voice ensuring fair treatment and equal opportunities for the blind.

Second, yes, many people are passionate about blindness awareness, and
this is a good thing. This is often why people get involved in
leadership roles. But we don't all have to follow this path and work in
a blindness related field. I'm extremely passionate about advocacy and
education for blind issues, but I don't work in a blindness field. I've
been involved in various leadership roles in the Federation, but I also
have a desire to live a life outside of blindness. As passionate as I am
about furthering the goals of the Federation, I have interests, hobbies
and dreams in other areas of life.

And I will admit something here: In the years I've been involved with
the Federation, I feel very little has been done, especially in my
region, to promote and advocate for blind issues. I've done more
independent of the Federation to enact change and educate the public
about blindness. No NFB connections acquired me these opportunities, but
I found these opportunities out in the world living my life, being apart
of things other than the Federation and blindness.

We all have our own goals and dreams. We must follow whatever path we
feel is best for us. I just challenge all blind people to truly consider
their talents, abilities and dreams. Some people belong in a blindness
field and it's their true calling, but I also believe many choose this
route because it seems like the popular choice, or an initial passion
developed during training makes them feel inspired to work with fellow
blind people in hopes to give them an equal fervor, but eventually lose
steam only to find they are already in this chosen fieldor it's simply a
safety net.

I just want blind people to realize they can do anything they put their
mind too. That limitations are a human invention, and that we can
participate in any area of life we desire. It may take some
brainstorming and developing of tools and methods, but most things are
possible especially in todays world.

Bridgit
Message: 10