[stylist] Definition of blindness

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 19 14:53:50 UTC 2013

Ashley,

Yes, this true, but Lynda, Donna, myself and others are trying to say is
that these distinctions have become so much more than a way in which to
disseminate services, and keep in mind that often services are denied
people who could truly benefit from them because of these definitions
and what the so-called professionals consider appropriate vision loss in
order to receive services.

Also, I don't know why we as individuals are so stuck on the labels
either. They don't determine who we are or what our personality is like;
at least it shouldn't. Why does blindness determine who we are when it's
just one of many aspects of who we are?

Blind is blind, and as Donna has stated, we need to get over the stigmas
behind the definitions. No one should allow something like a disability
to determine who they are or to be pegged because of it. And by the way,
I hate the term *disability* I prefer differently able, and I don't
believe blindness itself is a physical disability because those who only
have blindness are not physically unable to do things; rather, we have a
sensory disability.

It doesn't matter, and it shouldn't be a matter of comfort. We are
blind, we have varying levels of vision loss. Period, end of story. If
other people want to get caught up in labels, let them, but we need to
be comfortable in our own skin and just live our freakin life.

Bridgit
Message: 1