[stylist] Definition of blindness

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 19 15:42:49 UTC 2013

But how do you explain the flaw in the system due to these labels? It's
the same levels denying kids Braille and mobility travel. These labels
deny seniors a full range of services that would be beneficial. These
labels have allowed so-called low-vision people to be employed over
totally blind people regardless of education, experience and ability.

We are not debating or denying the fact that these visual levels are
what give us entrance into things like NLS and Learning Ally, but rather
we are discussing a philosophical concept behind the labels. Like most
minorities, the labels tend to do more harm than good. Instead of people
we are black people, Latino people, deaf people, blind people...
Stigmas, distinctions and prejudices often follow these labels.

For a lit class at university, I did a research paper comparing the
totally blind/partially blind issue to the dark vs. light skin issue in
particular addressing the *fitting in* for lighter black people vs.
darker skinned black people. It's often called *passing.* It was an
interesting process, and I found a lot of similarities.

Having been fully sighted and now totally blind, I've been in both
worlds and often find it difficult to *fit in* in either. I am the same
person, act the same, do the same things, but I'm often treated
differently because I'm blind, not to mention female, but that's another
topic for  another day. I don't think I'll ever adjust to this
treatment. I'm defined because of this label, and people assume they
know me and what I like and don't like.

So yes, the labels and definitions may provide me services, but they
also stamp me allowing people to make assumptions and perpetuate
prejudices. And I go back to my earlier point too: I'm totally blind so
most services are open to me, but what about partials? In my experience,
I've only met two partials who could effectively and efficiently use
their sight still. All others would have greatly benefited from some set
of alternative skills, but due to a definition followed with a social
stigma, these people were either denied services or refused them.
Doesn't seem like the labels help here.

Bridgit
Message: 4