[stylist] Slate & Style submission guidelines

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 19 21:07:19 UTC 2013

Dear Stylist:

Below are the submission guidelines for Slate & Style. Anyone wishing to
submit should carefully review these guidelines. Submissions not
following these guidelines will not be considered for publication in
Slate & Style.

Slate & Style is a quarterly publication of the Writers' division of the
National Federation of the Blind (NFB Writers). It's dedicated to
writing pursuits including literary pieces along with resources and
information about various writing styles. A majority of Slate & Style's
contributors are visually impaired, but we welcome submissions from any
contributor, professional or amateur. We also accept submissions
touching on any subject matter.

Slate & Style accepts short fiction, short creative nonfiction, poetry,
articles discussing and providing tips for various writing styles
including literary, technical, editing, public relations and academic,
literary criticism and resource information.

Subject matter is not limited though it will be up to the editor's
discretion to publish.

Slate & Style accepts material from adults and children. We prefer email
submissions. Please no hand-written or Braille submissions.

An annual subscription costs $15. The costs for an individual issue is
$5. Members of the Writer's Division receive issues free of charge. An
annual membership costs $20. Visit our website to pay via PayPal at:
http://www.nfb-writers-division.net, or contact us at newmanrl at cox.net
for other payment options.

We accept submissions from January first through September first. Please
give Slate & Style six weeks to hear back from us. All submissions are
considered for publication but not all pieces will be published. We may
keep submissions to be used for later publication. The editor may
respond with comments and suggestions, giving contributors an
opportunity to resubmit. Please be patient and wait the full six weeks
before contacting us about a submission.

Submissions are welcome at all times, however, Please read through the
guidelines carefully. Submissions that don't follow these guidelines
will not be considered for Slate & Style.

Submission guidelines are as follows:

.	Length requirements are: articles, 1500 words or less, fiction
and memoir/personal essay, 4000 words or less, poetry, 36 lines or less.

.	Include a title page along with your submission with author
name, title of piece and contact info-phone, email and address. Please
include this as an attachment and not in the body of an email.

.	Please include a brief bio of yourself-no more than 150 words.
Do not send an entire history, just include key items you feel are
important for readers to know.

.	Book reviews should have a more academic approach. Don't just
state you liked it or not, and don't simply summarize a book. Address
tone, format, style, character and plot development and the over-all
writing. The length for book reviews is 500 words. Bios do not need to
accompany book reviews.

.	All email submissions must be attachments and sent to
bpollpeter at hotmail.com. Do not paste entries into the body of an email.
Entries simply pasted into an email will not be considered.

.	In the subject line of your email, write:  Slate & Style
submission, name, title and genre. EX: Slate & Style, Bridgit
Kuenning-Pollpeter, title of submission, genre.

.	Use Microsoft Word or create an RTF document for all
submissions. No other formats are accepted, and therefore will not be
considered. Please do not send hand-written or Braille submissions.

.	Proofread and check your grammar and formatting before
submitting. Submissions with too many errors will either be returned
with corrections to be made if you wish to resubmit, or it will not be
considered at all.

.	Slate & Style will consider all submissions for publication.
However, please be careful with graphic sexual and violent content as
well as language and anti-religious, anti-gender, anti-racial and
anti-homosexual orientation content. Characterization and plot often
require this type of material, but it must serve a purpose. Gratuitous
material with no purpose or meant only for derogatory reasons, will not
be considered, however, material will be published according to the
discretion of the editor.

Please direct questions and comments to Bridgit KuenningPollpeter at
bpollpeter at hotmail.com,.