[stylist] Self-publishing

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 2 01:08:07 UTC 2013

Donna,

Thank you for the very detailed description from your perspective. I
appreciate it.

Most my profs were in the 30 to 40 year-old range, though a couple were
older. They were all widely published, and a few have worked as editors
as well. They taught us about inquiry letters, but we didn't really
delve into the publishing world. Our focus was first and foremost our
writing. The most we ever learned about publishers is that we need to
find a publisher that will hit our target audience, how to craft a
inquiry and to not be scammed by those requesting you pay abundant
amounts of money just to be published. They also were against
self-publishing, though many of my classmates were self-published
including personal blogs. We never even really discussed agents.

So I have graduated with a vast knowledge about writing itself, but I
have very little knowledge about the publishing world. Submitting to
journals and magazines is not a problem, but the thought of shopping a
novel around is quite daunting at this point. I just want to be aware of
all my options.

And yes, despite a six-week stay in the NICU, Declan is home and doing
well, smile. He turned four-months-old on Dec. 29, and he's growing so
much.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter, editor, Slate & Style
Read my blog at:

"If we discover a desire within us that nothing in this world can
satisfy, we should begin to wonder if perhaps we were created for
another world."
C. S. Lewis