[stylist] Publishing

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Wed Jan 2 22:18:25 UTC 2013

Hi Lynda,
Thanks so much for sharing this with us. I knew a little about what you've
done over your career from bits and drabs I've picked up  on this list over
the years , but this really puts it in perspective. I think that the
university community is probably the best place for networking and ease of
access to publishing and workshop opportunities. Things are a bit more
complicated for those of us without advanced degrees and/or teaching
positions.

That said, your advice is spot on. It's one of the reasons I pursued
prepublication reviews from members of the academic community. In addition
to the prepub workshop I'm doing for education majors at the U. of Scranton,
for instance, one of the professors who likes my book is setting up a
meeting with an official of one of the local school districts; she thinks
I'll be able to get some paid appearances out of it.

I think that the academic community is a particularly nice group of folks
who are disposed to new ways of looking at things. Not to say there aren't
selfish people there too, but the overall impression from the outside is
that they are approachable. My book is essentially a school adventure with
excursions into fantasy, but I have professors of education and computer
sciences claiming it's a great way to introduce students to the realities of
vision loss. If I had mentioned that possibility to the average person a few
years ago, I think most would have considered it a bit of a leap. For most
of the writing of the book, even I would not have seen the connection .

I also think that many topics, both nonfiction and fiction, can be presented
in a way that ties in with something in the academic world, which is almost
infinitely wide and varied. Part of our jobs as writers is to find those
connections and promote our material accordingly. I've read and heard many
times that self published authors who do the best are those with a niche
market. For a long time, I thought that meant that they had one specific
market. Now, I see it as varying one's promotional approach to take in as
many niches as possible.
Donna