[stylist] Publishing

Lynda Lambert llambert at zoominternet.net
Wed Jan 2 23:45:16 UTC 2013

Donna,

I am glad I sat down and wrote that today - if it helps just one person it
is worth it.

I think your pursuit of contacts at your local university can be very
rewarding.  You have so much to give to others and I can very much see that
this would be a good path for you to be on. I always brought in outside
folks to do guest spots in my classes whenever I could. They bring in new
ideas and students love hearing about what those people are doing in their
own work. We always have stipends in our budget so we can pay for this
professional development experience for our classes.

You can also seek their help in finding out about the conferences that would
be appropriate for your expertise.  Maybe you can make a list of all the
areas in education that would welcome the knowlege you have put into that
book, and into your own career. These will be YOUR NITCHES - and yes, pursue
them all.  You are an expert in a number of things, and now you will want to
connect with others who are experts, too, because you have so much to share
with each other.

Once you locate some conferences that you might like to do a presentation
for, you can get their proposal forms and outline what you want to do at
that conference.  You can even call the conference coordinator and speak
with her directly to discuss your ideas and what you might do in a
presentation.  This just brings you into contact with many other people who
are very interested in what you know and do.

The audience will ask you questions. Your colleagues will ask you questions.
They will want to linger to discuss things with you. They will want to be in
contact with you following that conference. It is the best place to network
with like minded people. It's very exciting.  I believe you will see your
work in print through those audiences and conferences.

While teaching full time, I usually did about 4 conferences a year all over
the US.  I taught in Europe every summer for years, and took students abroad
at least twice a year.

I did exhibitions of my art work world wide during that time - and had
publications regularly.  Plus, all professors are required to be involved in
their local communities and to be in public service through local
organizations. There were 7 areas that we are required to be involved in,
all the time, besides in our classrooms.

It all works together.  I will be very interested in hearing how this goes
for you. Please keep me informed as it goes along - I am very excited about
your possibilities for connecting with others in this way because I know it
can be fruitful.

When I set down my 5 things to do to get focused for the big picture, I
should have said this:

When I began my new position at the museum, this is what the board president
required of me.  They wanted me to come up with the 5 year plan, and then to
break that down exactly as I outlined. This is how the museum moved forward.

When I wrote out the 12 months; I made a folder for each month. In that
folder was all the information and my goals for the month.  I made a
checklist for the month, and wrote out exactly what needed to be
accomplished that month.   Those 12 folders were in a folder carrier and on
a table beside my DESK where I was conscious of them every day.   As one
month was completed, then I opened the next month's file and began working
on that month's goals. It is so do-able when you have a clear plan.

I think we forget that whatever we are doing (writing, or something else) it
is a business. And, to be successful at it we have to conduct it as a
business.  We are creative people, yet, we have to put on the business hat
every day, too.  We walk in two worlds, and we have to learn how to move
back and forth between them.

Most important of all is networking with others who are doing the same
things we are doing and giving away our help whenever we can.

In the academic world, people help other people and most of us got our jobs
because of our contacts with others who respected us. When I got my job at
the college, I had not even applied for it. I did not even know it existed.
But, someone I did not even know was going to be on sabbatical and then
retire after that, knew of me and respected my work. She wrote me a letter
asking if I would be interested in "helping out at the college" while she
was away. After meeting with her, I agreed to "help out" by going there on
my day's off at the museum to lead students in discussions in the
Humanities.
When she came back, instead of my temporary job ending, I was asked to apply
for a position that would be advertised.  I went through the entire process
of applying and waited out the long process of the interviews and selection
committee.  Even though I had taught there for over a year, I still had to
compete with others from all over the US, and do the same things they all
had to do, to be considered.  The thing that put me over the top was that I
had credentials in both English and Humanities, and that is exactly what the
college needed.
So you just never know what may come your way by simply being helpful and
giving to others without expecting anything in return.

It is normally the way it works.  It is not about what you will get from
someone that is of most importance, it is what you will GIVE to them and to
others that really is the key.  Teachers in higher education are givers;
they give away their research freely to their students and to their
colleagues.  They give away through  their class lectures; they give away
their expertise to others through their presentations at conferences, etc.
And, really, through your book, you are giving away insight and education on
many important aspects of what it means to be human. Thank you, Donna, for
what you do for so many other people through your writing.

 Lynda