[stylist] Free E-book formatting resource from Smashwords

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Thu Jan 3 02:00:59 UTC 2013

For all of you who want to learn more about what is involved in getting a
manuscript ready for publishing, this is from the e-book publishing service
Smashwords, which Phyllis brought to our attention. I wish I had started
thinking about improving my skills using Word before I actually finished the
book *grin* Now, it's become a bit of a crash course.

I am copying a bit about it from the site. I downloaded the RTF file, and
since it opened in Word's Protected Mode, I saved it as a .docx file, which
I have attached. They have a wide variety of downloadable formats, including
Epub (Apple iPad/iBooks, Nook, Sony Reader, Kobo, and most e-reading apps
including Stanza, Aldiko, Adobe Digital Editions, others), as well as PDF,
and html. I'm including the URL in case you'd like it in a different format.
Donna
From:
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/52
Block quote
Smashwords Style Guide
By Mark Coker

Extended description
 The Smashwords Style Guide has helped thousands of authors produce and
publish high-quality ebooks. This free guide offers simple step-by-step
instructions to create, format and publish an ebook. It's required reading
for any author who wants to distribute their book via Smashwords to major
ebook retailers such as the Apple iBookstore, Barnes & Noble, Sony, Kobo and
Diesel.

It also provides a great primer introduction on ebook publishing. Over
190,000 copies downloaded!

Updated June 2012 with the latest ebook cover image requirements....
Block quote end

Read Donna's articles on
Suite 101:

http://suite101.com/donna-w-hill

Connect with Donna on
Twitter:
www.twitter.com/dewhill
LinkedIn:
www.linkedin.com/in/dwh99
FaceBook:
www.facebook.com/donna.w.hill

Hear clips from "The Last Straw" at:
cdbaby.com/cd/donnahill

Apple I-Tunes
phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playListId=259244374