[stylist] A Small introduction

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 3 21:04:20 UTC 2013

Ashley,

I'm a strong believer that our writing has a life all its own, and we
are merely the receptacles used to scribe, smile.

I too have explored lesbian relationships in my writing. It' usually not
intended but just happens. Just like life, we are living it when we meet
someone who takes our breath away. This happens when I write.

I'm obsessed with modern retellings of fairy tales. Sherri S. Tepper,
Neil Gaimon and Morgan Llewellyn are a couple of my favorite fantasy
writers. Of course, Tolkien is the king of fantasy writing, though I
don't enjoy much modern high-fantasy. I don't mind the genre, but much
of it's not well-written. Donna Jo Napoli has some wicked books that
have a new twist on fairytales. I've been working on a Sleeping Beauty
manuscript for years now. I work shopped it while at university, but
unfortunately most academic settings don't appreciate genre writing.
Some of my classmates commiserated about this with me.

I've also been working on a memoir-type manuscript that tells certain
parts of my life through the lens of a fairytale. It starts with Once
Upon a Time... I actually received a ton of positive feedback on this
essay while in school from both classmates and profs. It's not fiction
or anything; it's all my real life, but I use a lot of fairytale
archetypes to tell it.

There's just something interesting about fairytales. I've always been
drawn to them. Deep down, I'm a fantasy nerd, LOL!

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter, editor, Slate & Style
Read my blog at:

"If we discover a desire within us that nothing in this world can
satisfy, we should begin to wonder if perhaps we were created for
another world."
C. S. Lewis

Message: 1