[stylist] editing for trade?

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Wed Jan 16 13:58:39 UTC 2013

Hello all!

I have just recently finished a polished draft of my first book.  I have
edited it as much as I can myself.  I am now ready for the next step in
the editing process.  I have a couple of beta readers in process.  I
would very much appreciate someone to help with more advanced editing.

I'm looking for help with the overall flow of the book.  Does the time
line make sense?  Is it understandable?  What do I need to explain
further?  What questions did I leave unanswered?  and that sort of thing.

I am also interested in suggestions on grammar, sentence structure, word
choice etc.  I have tried to go through each sentence with a fine tooth
comb to fix these sorts of issues, but I know that this is a weakness
for me.

I have looked at professional editing services and Wow are they pricey.
I simply am not willing to invest that kind of money into my first
book.  Perhaps if this one does well, I can use some of the money I earn
to reinvest in a second book.  However at the moment I need to look at
no cost options.

I am writing to you lovely people in hopes that someone or a couple of
someones would be willing to exchange editing with me.  The current
version of my book is around 35,000 words.  I'm wanting a decent time
investment and brutally honest feedback.  I will offer the same to you
in return. The book is what I'd call narrative nonfiction or perhaps
memoir.  In return I'm comfortable with reviewing most anything
excepting romance and poetry.

Anyone interested?
TIA
Julie