[stylist] editing for trade?

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Wed Jan 16 15:46:28 UTC 2013

Hi Julie,
Have you considered posting a chapter or two to this list for our feedback?
You would get an idea of how to figure out and fix your general weaknesses
that you could apply to the rest of the book. The editing services are very
pricy because it's a very involved, tedeous and time-consuming  process. In
the past for instance, when I have commented on stories posted to this list,
I have often spent a couple of hours just for a short story.

I'm done with the editing process for my book, so I'm not in need of a
trade.  I will tell you that the people who read and critiqued my novel all
brought something different to the table in terms of suggestions and
observations. Have you asked around locally for help from a local writing
group or folks who work at local newspapers?

For me, the editing process was a major learning process. One thing that I
have a problem with is word usage and spelling especially
homophones/homonyms. After learning that I had flubbed it several times, I
started reading the book and looking for words that could mean something
else other than what I meant. I then Googled them to see what my spelling
meant. I'm talking about stuff like bazaar and bizarre; discreet and
discrete or grisly and grizzly.
Donna