[stylist] Question: writing about the letters of the alphabet

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Wed Jan 23 20:20:32 UTC 2013

Hi All,
OK, how do you put it in print when you're talking about the letters of the
alphabet? For instance, "When I write a g, bla, bla, bla. Or if it were
plural, "When I write my gs, ..." I'm looking for what is considered proper
grammar/spelling. I've considered having the letter in italics, placing an
apostrophe before it and, in the case of a plural, gs would seem more
correct than using an apostrophe between the letters -- g's -- because it's
not either possessive or a contraction. Jaws likes the apostrophe, however,
in terms of pronunciation. Anyway, if anyone has a source for the standard
for this, please let me know. I haven't gotten anywhere Googling it, and I
can't find it in any of the style books I have.
Thanks,
Donna

Read Donna's articles on
Suite 101:

http://suite101.com/donna-w-hill

Connect with Donna on
Twitter:
www.twitter.com/dewhill
LinkedIn:
www.linkedin.com/in/dwh99
FaceBook:
www.facebook.com/donna.w.hill

Hear clips from "The Last Straw" at:
cdbaby.com/cd/donnahill

Apple I-Tunes
phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playListId=259244374