[stylist] Creative non-fiction writing excersize--Taking the Fall for Federationism

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Tue Jan 29 15:43:48 UTC 2013

Shawn,
I've been following both threads on this piece, and I wanted to make a few
comments. First, you hit a nerve with me -- so much so that I broke with my
routine yesterday and spent three hours writing about several similar
incidents. In my case, I view them as sign-posts that were ignored by myself
and others who didn't want me to be "blind" no matter what the doctors said.
I know other folks with degenerative eye conditions who had near misses
while still driving long after they should have quit. One gal I interviewed
a few years back got a wake-up call when crossing the street with her
toddler -- a bus had to slam on the breaks to miss her.

I gather for you that it is something you perceive as evidence that you
weren't paying attention. You make a valid point that having a cane is no
guarantee of not taking prat falls, as you call them, or colliding with
anything. When we lived in Philadelphia, people would tell me stories about
a blind man who used a cane to get to his job at the state office building.
He traveled by subway, and every day he would run straight into the same
column. It brings to mind that old Einstein quote about insanity being
continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results. It's also
possible to ignore one's guide dog and run into hanging branches, trip over
cracks in the sidewalk and the like.

I think that part of the reason you get a bit of flack about what is clearly
your choice in getting around has to do with the pervasive public opinion
that whatever "accident" or problem we have, it is primarily due to
blindness. My old economics professor used to be fond of saying that
monocausal explanations for anything are ipso facto inadequate, but with
regard to blindness, that's what we're fighting. Sighted people walk into
things, knock things off the table and lose track of their keys, but if we
do, it's because we're blind. My sister is fully sighted, but that didn't
stop her from breaking a toe on the family toilet. The toilet, in its
defense, maintains that it had been in the exact same place for 40 years.

  The problem isn't just one of our public perception as adults. Blind
children are the most impacted. There are few expectations. Even the
standards for reading at grade-level don't apply to blind kids in most
states. Schools aren't as inclined to test blind kids for learning
disabilities like they do with sighted kids. With blind kids, whatever
deficit they exhibit is automatically assumed to be related to blindness and
therefore hopeless.

In terms of the piece, Chris did catch some typos, and I would have to agree
about the use of the present tense. Lynda mentioned the first person vs.
third person question, but that's a whole other animal, as they say, and I
don't know if that would be considered creative nonfiction -- perhaps, but I
don't know; I am only familiar with the first person in that regard. I'd
change tenses and see how that goes.

It would be an interesting exercise to try telling the same story in third
person omniscient. You could also try telling it from the POV of someone who
was there (doesn't have to be a real person). That would open up
possibilities of turning it into a fictional piece and perhaps developing
the character of the narrator to enable some sort of flash of insight.

As far as changing your request for help not being polite, ... I didn't
really take it that way. Also, what you said or what you want the reader to
experience you saying is what it is. I changed something in an article
several years ago because a blind person in a leadership position suggested
that my wording didn't present the person's experience in the most
independent light. The fact was that I told it like she told it to me. I
changed it to whitewash a small detail to make her look more "capable." I
wish I hadn't.

Anyway, I'll post mine soon. Thanks for the inspiration. I haven't been
doing anything except as it pertains to getting my novel out, so this was a
welcomed break.
Donna