[stylist] Tunnel Vision

Lynda Lambert llambert at zoominternet.net
Thu Jan 31 16:45:49 UTC 2013

Donna, this essay was both hilarious and sad at the same time. After I read
it through, the word that came to me was "momentum." The piece had a fast
paced momentum the kept cranking on like some kind of mechanical force,
from beginning to end. Maybe like a train moving through a tunnel, now that
I think about it.

The quick-step-dance down the stairway was captivating. I could see it
clearly, and I could feel the momentum of it. Part of me was watching it
from below the landing and my heart was throbbing; and part of me was bent
over double laughing at the bizaare nature of it all.  I  think I would
laugh  due to  a purely emotional response to the terror of the sight of it
all!

Does the ending really need to address the idea or image of a tunnel at all?
Does the  title have to be about a tunnel?
Maybe that is too narrow and you are trying to force the word "tunnel" into
the work at beginning and ending?

When I got to the last part,  your  ending gave   me the same feeling I get
when I read a poem that  was written by putting down a  string of  end words
that  rhyme; then  the writer  tries to pound  lines into those  forced  end
words.

It  also made me feel like I was standing in front of my wall of books on
shelves. There are bookends there that hold the books fast in place on the
shelf. I pick up a book and walk over to my fully loaded shelf;  I begin to
try squeezing that book in my had  into position at the end of the shelf.
It just won't fit in there!

I really loved this piece because of the insight it gave me into what it is
like to have lifetime challenges with eye problems. I was especially
interested in your discussion of how you tried to do school work, without
the kinds of adaptions that would be necessary for success.

I was very surprised to see that  as a young child you did not have cane
training and did not use a cane as a young adult.  Your sense of humer in
dire circumstances come through very clearly. I really enjoyed this essay.

Lynda