[stylist] Toot Toot- CLEAR DIRECTIONS for YOU

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Mon Jul 1 19:57:18 UTC 2013

Bridgit,
Amen to that. What I think we need to embrace is the concept that we have
the right to accessible technology. It is as essential to us as wheelchair
ramps and elevators are to people with physical disabilities. The way things
are now, we are beholden to the kindness of strangers for any accessibility
we have and to organizations like the NFB which occasionally file suit.
Neither is a workable alternative in the long-run.

According to Dr. Brian Wentz (Frostburg State U. computer science professor
and published accessibility expert) in his 2011 article in the First Monday
Journal (U of Il, Chicago), a full 80% of the internet is inaccessible. This
is not to say that 80% of the sites are totally inaccessible, but that 80%
of the functionality is inaccessible. His colleague and co-author Dr. Paul
Jaeger, a lawyer and law professor, believes that the laws which govern this
are structured like the "separate but equal" civil rights laws, which were
declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court decades ago.

Unlike fifty years ago, when it was a time-consuming process to Braille a
book, technology is not the issue today. We have blind radioastronomers,
Diesel mechanics and chemists, for Heaven's sake, and they do what they do
successfully because of technology. The main problem is that website
designers are not legally bound to make their sites accessible, nor are they
subject to the review/permit process that architects must go through to
ensure the physical accessibility of buildings.

Even the Federal government sites, which are required by law to make their
sites accessible, often don't. A few years ago, a government study claimed
that most of their sites weren't fully accessible. President Clinton issued
an executive order that every federal agency present their plans for fixing
this within 90 days. 90 days came and went with most departments not
complying. With no teeth in the executive order, the matter was dropped
again, according to an access technology expert and federal employee named
Robert Johnson, whom I interviewed 2 years ago. If memory serves, he said
that President Obama issued a similar executive order with the same results.

When several of us at the Performing Arts Division tried to get the indie
music site CDBaby to reinstitute the accessibility they had always had until
the site was sold and "improved," we were told that it wasn't possible
because they were using Adobe Flash. One of the problems was that the
Preview buttons, which allow people to hear clips of certain songs, were no
longer  accessible to screen readers. When Wes Mageris, who used to work for
NFB's Access Technology Center, explained that this was not true, CDBaby
came back saying that they misspoke, and it was really the Java that they
were using that made it impossible to fix. Wes said that was a crock also.
CDBaby promised to fix the problem after the holidays. Well, over a year
later, they had a "Java script link" above any song that had the ability to
be previewed. Nowhere did it tell screen reader users what they were
supposed to be looking for. We spread the word as best as we could, but who
could blame anyone for not clicking on something that said "java script
link?" I personally thought it was a link to go learn something about using
Java on your own site. I haven't been back there, though they still sell my
third CD.

I really believe that this will simply continue until we demand an end to
this sort of segregation. With only 5% of books and magazines available in
accessible formats and only 20% of the internet, it's a wonder any of us
have full-time jobs. The same problems exist with regard to home appliances,
office equipment, etc. and it results in fewer choices and less independence
for blind people. I personally don't believe the public has accepted the
equality of blind citizens, and most of us are so tickled with what we can
do nowadays, that we aren't really all that angry about it.
Donna