[stylist] Self-Publishing update and more!

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Mon Mar 11 15:31:39 UTC 2013

Donna and others

Self-Publishing is getting to be more and more a common, accepted and
successful method to establishing a person's authorship in the vast world of
the book market. It can be an end in itself, and/or a step to yet another
type of publishing opportunity. And so thank you Miss Donna for your
attention to our interest and need for learning about this method of
publishing.

I have been corresponding with several others who are also into
self-publishing and all seem to be taking different routes to get that
accomplished. What we can and need to do in the near future is --- to
showcase these efforts, thereby we all learn of present options for
self-publishing. In fact, the theme for the 2013 Writers' Division's annual
business meeting at convention is --- self-publishing. And to make this
happen, I am looking to set up one of two types of presentations:

First- A panel of blind authors who have taken this route, an/or a
"workable-call-in" panel of blind folks who have this same experience, but
who could not physically be at convention(taking one person at a time- who
will present and take questions).

Second- A guest speaker, a local expert on self-publishing. Though I
hesitate to think this last scenario is desirable, based upon and guessing
that anyone we find "locally in Orlando," will not know of the unique
challenges that some of us have as a blind computer operator trying to work
through a publishing site that is setup for the sighted.

And so in part, after revealing the topic for our annual meeting, if there
is anyone reading this who has successfully worked through one of these
self-publishing routes, and I'm including even if you had to have some
sighted assistance (a viable alternative, using a sighted assistant when
needed), then please write me off list!!!

Robert Leslie Newman

Personal Website-

Adjustment To Blindness And Visual impairment

http//www.thoughtprovoker.info

NFB Writers' Division, president

http://www.nfb-writers-division.net

Chair of the NFB Communications Committee