[stylist] Quote to ponder

Bill Outman woutman at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 17 17:45:17 UTC 2013

Good afternoon, Robert, Bridgit and list.

Wow, you have put one out there that has a lot of interesting implications.

Picasso's statement encapsulates the essence of the concept of a multiverse.
This theory holds that whatever the laws of physics and probability permit
could in fact exist in some universe.  The ramifications of such a state of
affairs are at once fascinating and disturbing.  For example, there could be
analogs of me who are experiencing better or worse circumstances, of course
also depending on how we define better or worse.

The concept of the lie when it comes to fiction can present difficult moral
dilemmas, especially for those of us who say we are people of faith in God.
We are taught "Thou shalt not lie(or bear false witness)."  We can find it
difficult to enjoy or create fiction, being warned of its potential
pernicious effects on society or ourselves.  We are told Flip Wilson's
expression "The devil made me do it" isn't an excuse for sinful actions.

I admit to struggling with these issues myself, and desiring to feel more
free about them.  I've regularly had mental blocks about this throughout my
life.  I guess this also touches on the age-old dilemma as to whether art
imitates life or life imitates art.  The relationship is probably in fact
symbiotic.

Bill Outman