[stylist] jaws question

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Sun Mar 24 18:33:17 UTC 2013

Robert,
That's the way it used to work, but some of them are just not tagged right
for screen readers. A study that came out in 2011 said that 80 % of the
internet is inaccessible. It's rare to find a site where everything has been
set up to work properly with screen readers, and the problem is getting
worse not better. We need something equivalent to the building permit system
which makes sure people don't put up hospitals, office buildings, hotels and
the like without elevators and wheelchair ramps and accessible bathrooms.
Digital access is far cheaper than brick and mortor obstacles to fix, even
if it has to be retrofitted . Now, we are really relying on the good will of
each individual web designer. Even the federal sites have major issues. One
of my axes to grind has to do with the fact that many elected
representatives don't have accessible ways for blind constituents to access
them.

Donna