[stylist] Question about color and blindness

Eve Sanchez 3rdeyeonly at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 00:49:59 UTC 2013

I have, and still do, see in my own way. I think though, that even if I had
never seen, I would still have hte same favorite color. It is perwinkle and
in great part because I love the name. It just sounds so magickal. It is a
pretty cloro too, but either way; the name would win out. Blessed Be. Eve

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 4:07 PM, Lynda Lambert <llambert at zoominternet.net>wrote:

> Yes, Dave, in the beginning of this topic, we were discussing the color
> use in painting and in color mixing.
> That has then led us to think about other questions.
> All art, in every genre, has color. Buildings, paintings, sculptures,
> performance works, happenings, drawings, pottery, and more - all have color.
>
> And, I think (I am not sure, because I am only 5 years into sight loss)
> that all  art genre could be enjoyed by everyone, but in different ways,
> depending on the experiences  and contacts with it.
>
> I can no longer see a painting on the gallery wall, but I can assure you
> that the thrill and passion I get from standing in a gallery surrounded by
> paintings is powerful, even as powerful as it ever was when I could see
> them. They are a living presence, and we can feel them and use our other
> senses. I have always maintained that art is not created with the eyes, but
> with the entire body and being of a person. So it stands ro reason, for me,
> that we can enjoy and get a BANG out of all art - our bodies absorb it, and
> our spirits engage with it - for the artist and the viewer alike. Art is
> universal.
>

> Lynda
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "David Andrews" <dandrews at visi.com>

> Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2013 6:42 PM
>
> Subject: Re: [stylist] Question about color and blindness
>

>  The answer to color is yes.  Colors represent emotions, feelings, etc.,
>> to most people so you can have your favorite without seeing.
>>
>> As to art, what do you mean by "art?"  Painting on canvas is just one
>> kind of art, There is mu art that can be appreciated in multiple ways, or
>> modalities as the professionals would say.
>>
>> Also, in terms of more visual arts, you still could have a favorite
>> because you admire the creator, or some other reason.
>>

>> Dave
>>
>> at 05:28 PM 3/27/2013, you wrote:
>>
>>> Okay, I tread carefully here. Since I wasn't always blind, I have
>>> questions myself. So here I go...
>>>
>>> Can a person who has never been able to see truly have a favorite color,
>>> or can they really know what they like in art?
>>>
>>> I apologize if this is insensitive and stupid. I'm just curious, and
>>> maybe I'm not wording it correctly.
>>>
>>> Bridgit
>>>
>>> Message: 5
>>> Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 20:31:23 -0400
>>> From: "Lynda Lambert" <llambert at zoominternet.net>
>>> Subject: Re: [stylist] Sharing a pantoum -Adding Color to your work
>>>
>>> thanks, Mary Jo. Color holds so much history and meaning, and the really
>>>
>>> interesting thing is that a particular color will change meaning with
>>> different time periods - the same color will be called by a different
>>> name,
>>> accroding to the times. Like everything else in life, it is ever
>>> changing.
>>> But, each color has it's own character and holds meaning.
>>>
>>> I enjoyed thinking about this early this morning before I started off on
> [...]
>>> day.