[stylist] history and religion

Jacqueline Williams jackieleepoet at cox.net
Thu May 9 17:02:51 UTC 2013

Eve,
Bridgit sent you correct information about the book on which following
"Spoon River" poetry evolved into more widespread use.
I am glad you like the poem. I have copied and will paste a bit more history
of the "Spoon River." This one does not mention that it is free verse with
no necessity for rhyme or meter, though I have done them both ways. If you
like to write monologues, or soliloquies, it would be natural to try one.
Just make sure your person is speaking from the grave, and not still living.
I will send you another, at your request,  published, about "Sweet Justice,"
whom I considered as speaking from the grave after the O.J. trial.
Good luck.
Jackie

Spoon River poetry from Wickopedia. Each following poem is an epitaph of a
dead citizen, delivered by the dead themselves. They speak about the sorts
of things one might expect: some recite their histories and turning points,
others make observations of life from the outside, and petty ones complain
of the treatment of their graves, while few tell how they really died.
Speaking without reason to lie or fear the consequences, they construct a
picture of life in their town that is shorn of façades. The interplay of
various villagers — e.g. a bright and successful man crediting his parents
for all he's accomplished, and an old woman weeping because he is secretly
her illegitimate child — forms a gripping, if not pretty, whole.
The subject of afterlife receives only the occasional brief mention, and
even those seem to be contradictory.
The work features such characters as Tom Merritt, Amos Sibley, Carl Hamblin,
Fiddler Jones and A.D. Blood. Many of the characters that make appearances
in Spoon River Anthology were based on real people that Masters knew or
heard of in the two towns in which he grew up, Petersburg and Lewistown,
Illinois. Most notable is Ann Rutledge, regarded in local legend to be
Abraham Lincoln's early love interest though there is no actual proof of
such a relationship. Rutledge's grave can still be found in a Petersburg
cemetery, and a tour of graveyards in both towns reveals most of the
surnames that Masters applied to his characters.
Other local legends assert that Masters' fictional portrayal of local
residents, often in unflattering light, created a lot of embarrassment and
aggravation in his hometown. This is offered as an explanation for why he
chose not to settle down in Lewistown or Petersburg.
Spoon River Anthology is often used in second year characterization work in
the Meisner technique