[stylist] What am I saying?

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Tue May 14 22:57:20 UTC 2013

Eve,
Chris is right; since there is no comma, it is someone announcing a guest to
a person they are calling "sister." Since you didn't capitalize "sister," it
can't be a nun. But, the term "guest sister" is so unfamiliar to me that the
sentence seems awkward. If you mean it in the sense that we call someone a
"guest speaker," I think I'd want to see a hyphen in there. A hyphen would
make a compound noun out of it and remove any confusion. We don't use the
hyphen in "guest speaker," but the term is commonly understood. "Guest
sister" isn't, hence the hyphen. I know some won't like "guest-sister," but
there is one compound noun that has retained its hyphen, despite the fact
that people universally understand what it means -- ice-cream.
Donna