[stylist] The Wind that Fans the Fire, song lyrics

Donna Hill penatwork at epix.net
Thu May 16 19:22:20 UTC 2013

Chris,
Thanks. I'll try to record it this week. I have a good microphone which I
use with the Booksense. Not perfection, but not too bad. I'm trying to learn
to use editing software, and one program I just downloaded has reverb and
seems more accessible than Audacity. Since Stylist took the PDF, I'm
guessing it'll take anything.

As far as the publishing thing goes and you guys learning from me ... Well,
if you all are going to learn, I might as well be making the mistakes. My
first piece of advice to anyone who wants to publish is to get up to speed
with your Word and internet skills, and download style guides and
submission/formatting requirements from the major outlets. I know it doesn't
sound very creative, but you can't be creative all the time. You might as
well learn a little at a time before you need it instead of waiting till the
book's done.

For those who have confidence that they will get a publishing contract, I
still think you can benefit from knowing what goes on, and I would hope
everyone is sufficiently realistic that they can accept the fact that most
writers don't get picked up. Think of it like a visually impaired kid
learning Braille -- maybe he will always have enough reading vision left to
get by, but learning a new skill isn't going to harm him if he doesn't need
it, and if he does, he's already got the skill.

BTW, thanks again for pointing out the exclaimation marks. I ended up with
less than one fifth of what I started with. Everything's been changed except
for Bookshare, which I will ask them if they want to update once this
three-ring circus is over.
Donna