[stylist] Smashwords

Homme, James james.homme at highmark.com
Thu Oct 31 19:42:41 UTC 2013

Hi,
I just got the SmashWords guide. I am cautiously optimistic that I have accidentally hit upon a way to create totally accessible documents that you can either import into Word, import into Word and then save as totally accessible PDF, convert to HTML, RTF, and I'm unsure what else. This would take some learning, but if you learn this, the original document is completely accessible, because it is nothing more than plain text. As you write and format your document, you have complete control over the formatting, and you know exactly what you are doing to the document. Once you format the document, you run a little program against it. The program turns it into either HTML or XHTML, your choice, and then you open it with Word. Word automatically picks up the formatting and converts it into Word styles. The cautious part is that I need to sign up for SmashWords and put it through their process to see how close it comes to passing their meat grinder. But for accessibility, you simply can't beat this process. You have no more fooling around with searching through Word and messing around with your screen readers reading features to see where you put in too much bold text, or where you accidentally left the heading 1 style turned on for too many paragraphs, or whether you forgot to turn off auto correct. I'm going to put this thing through its paces. My only thing is, I don't have an e-book to put through it, so I need to write one. I'm going to write a short one. I'll put it through the process, and report back, but I feel that this  might just work. Even if it doesn't work perfectly for the SmashWords thing, it will absolutely work great for any Word, HTML, XHTML, or PDF doc that you want to create, as long as you have Word and can save to PDF. On its own it can make a number of kinds of documents including XHTML and HTML.

It takes a little bit of learning to understand how to format the plain text documents, but you can probably learn the bulk of it in an hour, and if you have a cheat sheet, you can simply refer to the formatting you want to create, and put it in. And since the whole thing is plain text, you don't even need sighted help to make sure your formatting works. I check my documents by looking at them in my web browser. I can pretty easily spot the formatting errors, except perhaps for the bold and other formatting in the middle of text, but that's because I forget to use the screen reader features that speak bold text. If I want to check that stuff in my text editor, I don't even need screen reader special features. I took the time to create a clip set for this in NoteTab Pro, my text editor of choice most of the time, only because I'm lazy and don't want to format by hand, but formatting by hand is very easy.

If you want to get a feel for this stuff, visit http://www.txt2tags.org/.

OK. That's enough for now. Hopefully, tonight, I can get started on my little e-book and see in a few days how well it works.

Have fun.

Jim