[stylist] So Long, Mr. Stevens?

Barbara Hammel poetlori8 at msn.com
Thu Apr 17 18:24:34 UTC 2014

LOL!  Does this mean I haven't grown up yet since the poets of my childhood
are still the ones I like?  Though, I must admit, Shel Silverstein has
somewhat lost his appeal.  But I still do like him and A. A. Milne.

Bill, dark poetry seems to be the trend these days, and has been for quite
some time so on that front you are definitely not alone.

I'm beginning to think that there are different kinds of poetry because
everyone processes things differently.  For some, free verse and very loose
forms work because they have a different way of perceiving things than those
who love the well-metered and rhyming kind.

I do not understand many of the concepts of pure math, but when you put math
into science, it comes very easy.  Interestingly, that is the opposite of
the point I was going to make.  LOL!  For me, I'm beginning to realize, that
loose form and free verse make me thing too hard about what is being said,
whereas the rhyming and tight forms are easier because I don't have to work
on the unexpected while trying to comprehend the poem.

Barbara

Writing free verse is like playing tennis with the net down.--Robert Frost