[stylist] So Long, Mr. Stevens?

William L Houts lukaeon at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 06:00:05 UTC 2014

HI Bridgit,

I get what you're saying about the old fairy tales, although in my case
I still love them.
  But if I really examined them, I'd probably find that all sorts of
styles have fallen by my wayside as I've aged.  And as far as Wallace
Stevens goes, I'm probably a little sadder than I indicated, as he's
been so much a part of my aesthetics for so long.  There's still work
there that I love, but the whole idea of Stevens and what he was trying
to do with language doesn't work for me anymore.  ON the other hand, I'm
glad to announce that I'm still a fanboy for Edward Arlington Robinson
and his poems:  even now, some 25 years after I read it, I still love
"Miniver Cheevy", "How Ananias Went Out" and other works.

--Bill