[stylist] So Long, Mr. Stevens?

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 18 03:55:41 UTC 2014

As a child, I loved fairytales and classics like Oliver Twist and Little
Women. I'm not as into romanticism anymore, and when I pick up Little
Women now, I'm not sure why I was so enthralled as a kid. Traditional
fairytales have lost a lot of their magic, but fractured fairytales,
new, creative twists, can't get enough of them.

And I must admit, I prefer more realistic endings nowadays than the
romantic endings I loved as a child and teen. In my teens, I started
writing a lot of dark stuff, but I was also dealing with a lot of dark
stuff in my life.

I enjoy novels that make you think, that evoke something inside you. For
me, the darker stuff, existentialism, is what makes me think.

I also never read nonfiction much except history books. Now, I gobble up
nonfiction, especially new nonfiction, or creative nonfiction.

As with anything else, I think our reading nature grows and evolves as
we get older.

Bridgit