[stylist] Prayers for our friend Lynda & her hubby Bob

Jackie Williams jackieleepoet at cox.net
Thu Apr 24 17:50:56 UTC 2014

Lynda,
While "Jackie" sits writing her poetry, refusing to check e-mail for several
days, "Lynda" is witnessing aspects of living and possible death in forms
she, (you) have not yet experienced with your loved companion. Your emphasis
on the word "through," tells us so graphically where your thoughts are.
You are doing so many things now to inform a community of this disease, and
cope, that for now, you may not find time to tend to the horror of it all,
and write your way through it. I join with you in believing that it is the
knowing of the combined thoughts and prayers from all those who truly care,
that will bring you  both through. Where it takes you will be uncharted
ground for your unique lives.
I truly hope that an inclusion of one of the poems I wrote several months
before my brother's death, will not offend, but rather add to that sense
that horrors and howls are almost a rite of passage to events that
unexpectedly beset those who dance from happiness, and ride motorcycles, and
blow glass, and who prune high trees, and run nude in the desert, who
transplant tarantulas, and all measure of unusual things and are loved
desperately by someone.

Howls from a Memory Care Cottage
"Do not go gentle into that good night."
"Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
					Dylan Thomas

Called Pick's disease,  it took away your brain.
So, howl, my gentle brother-put away.
That howl alerts the ones who care for you,
of loneliness and grief, for emptiness,
or need for help in all life's endless chores.
Almost inaudible, you still can say
two siblings' names,  perhaps a "Yes," or "No."
In some stiff, stooped , and foreign shell, you move
away from any love sustained for you.
Or is it that you feel abandonment-
 that none of us will ever take you home?
Your howl, my brother, is-at night-my own.

Jackie Lee

Time is the school in which we learn.
Time is the fire in which we burn.
Delmore Schwartz