[stylist] Chris and William, RE: Poem - "Magician"

Jackie Williams jackieleepoet at cox.net
Fri Apr 25 03:08:56 UTC 2014

Chris, and William,
The interchange between you and William M.  is so very meaningful for both
of you and all of us. It contains the honest feeling of a reader containing
the frustration of a non-MFA reader's honest effort to understand and
appreciate a piece, but is quite unable to, and the frustration of a poet in
not being able to penetrate the masses with whom he wants to share his
innermost thoughts. You both have succinctly explained exactly where you are
coming from.
For your information, the Poem-a-Day feature has recently taken to adding a
feature at the end of each poem that says, "About this poem," in which the
author tells you in ordinary words what his poem means.
This has saved me from "throwing out the baby with the bath water,"
In many instances. After knowing that, I will read it with much more
appreciation.
Because I do not know many people who will go to the effort that you have
done, Chris, perhaps, if we send a poem to this group, and it is intricately
woven in density, perhaps we should include the same.

Jackie Lee

Time is the school in which we learn.
Time is the fire in which we burn.
Delmore Schwartz