[stylist] Chris and William, RE: Poem - "Magician"

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 29 19:03:01 UTC 2014

I feel that for an author to have to state the meaning and intent of a
given piece defeats, to an extent, the general rule of writing. If
readers don't understand our writing, either the wrong audience is
reading, or we haven't been clear enough and should revisit our work to
try to make clearer. I also think it can be cool to see how various
audiences interpret written works. Sometimes you find something
surprising but pleasant. I also think stating intent is directing
readers to an interpretation, and personally, I would rather readers
find that meaning on their own instead of being led, and if they don't,
I refer you back to my first point, smile.

In the case of Bill's poetry, it's a specific type of poetry, one I
enjoy, full of imagery and metaphor. It may not be for everyone, and
it's direct meaning may not always be present for some readers, but
that's okay. Sometimes we need to loosen our minds in order to find that
meaning, and other times, the author needs to be more precise and clear.

And no one hits gold all the time, smile.

Bridgit