[stylist] Chris and William, RE: Poem - "Magician"

Jackie Williams jackieleepoet at cox.net
Sun Apr 27 18:50:59 UTC 2014

Chris,
I really enjoy your commentary on these issues. I do know there is the
school of poets that believe every reader of a poem should have the
privilege of seeing what they want in it. Not having the thoughts of the
poet expedites this view. However, I am a lover of "closure," and if I
cannot find it myself, I seek it out any way I can.
Your conclusion to the accessible, or non-accessible poem, is largely what
my critique group does for me.
For the first hour and a half, we study poets and their works. In the
discussion of each one, I find just what you have found. Some find clarity
in what completely by-passes me. I see things that others do not see. But
for me, the bottom line is in knowing what the poet was thinking and trying
to say. If he cannot give this to his reader, I do not think he should be a
poet laureate.
The second hour and a half is when we pass around our homework assignment or
other subject we have chosen to write, one copy for each, and It is read
once by the writer, except in my case, and another time by another reader.
Then the critique starts and includes everything. We seem to have experts in
word choice, grammar, punctuation, techniques of presentation, poetic
devices, and form experts. It is an endless learning curve.
Because of my difficulty also in hearing, they write their comments large in
print, with black felt pens that I provide, I sometimes use a digital
recorder, but it does not pick up comments around the table, and often I do
not understand it. My son who takes me and picks me up, reads the comments
to me.
"It takes a village..." sometimes to get me where I want to go in poetry. I
am so grateful for this. They have even learned to face me directly,
enunciate clearly without yelling, and to repeat titles twice, and last
lines twice. Often the natural dropping of the voice on a last line, or even
laughter, completely erases the sound.
If I have not said this before, I will repeat it here. Blindness can be
about the 12th thing not right, but hearing is the first thing when combined
with blindness. I do so miss not being able to participate in the monthly
telephone gatherings for this reason. But, oh, how I love the voice of Jaws
with the microphones turned to their highest!

Jackie Lee

Time is the school in which we learn.
Time is the fire in which we burn.
Delmore Schwartz