[stylist] New Book, blindness on TV

Applebutter Hill applebutterhill at gmail.com
Sat Feb 15 02:50:51 UTC 2014

Lynda,
I think there is a subtle but profound difference in the realities of
writing versus art. As a writer, I could have written a book that was
fundamentally the same as the one I did write, in which there were no blind
or disabled characters. In fact, my whole premace was to write an exciting
story that could have happened to anyone, in which blindness was one aspect
of a fully-fleshed character. Abigail didn't have to be blind for the
plot-line or even the major subplot to play out just as they did.

The Heart of Applebutter Hill is not a coming-to-terms with blindness story.
If anything, the blindness angle is more of a view into the varied examples
of what blind people have to contend with in terms of public reactions every
day, whether they've come to terms with blindness or not. So, it's not like
I couldn't have rewritten it and preserved most of it.

In one way, the result of that would have been like your art-work which
stands on its own without anyone knowing how you made it or that you are
blind. But, if I had done that, I would have been kowtowing to the
publishing industry which is not neutral on the matter of blind characters,
especially blind women. I would have been allowing small-minded prejudiced
norms to edit my work by my own hand and denying who I am. Some agents
thought that they could sell my book if I removed the blindness thing. I
couldn't do that; I would rather have never published it than to tear the
guts -- my guts -- out of it.

I think with your art, you are judged differently than the written word is.
I don't quite know how to express it as an analogy. My first thought was
that it might be like if the art world got together and agreed that anything
with the color blue in it was substandard and wouldn't sell.

In the publishing field, they are making a determination based upon what
they understand the market to be, and to that extent, as we have been
discussing,  it is a sensable decision. In terms of the value of writing and
the role that fiction has played in history, however, they are prostituting
and castrating the art form.
Donna