[stylist] New Book, blindness on TV

Lynda Lambert llambert at zoominternet.net
Fri Feb 14 23:16:43 UTC 2014

Donna, yes, this is really a difficult decision and it has to be a personal
one.  I know for sure that by putting into my bio that I am blind, etc., I
will be closing many doors to exhibitions of my work - and for me, it is all
about my work and not me personally. It is my work that I want to have out
there and standing on it's own.  When a juror is looking at the art when
putting together an exhibition, that juror knows nothing at all about the
artist. The work has to grab her attention and be solid - and no work would
never be chosen because the artist has sight loss - not ever!!!!  An artist
has to learn early on that it is the work itself that has to speak to the
audience, and not the artist who made the work.  I think writing is very
similar.  The written text has to be so powerful that there is seldom a
thought of the author when reading it.

After I am juried into an exhibition, then I will let them know I have sight
loss eventually.  Being blind has nothing at all to do with my art work, it
has only to do with how I create it - but the work is about universal themes
far beyond my own personal challenge in creating it.

Lynda