[stylist] Hey! a non-rhyming poem from me take 2!

Barbara Hammel poetlori8 at msn.com
Sat Jul 12 03:50:51 UTC 2014

Okay, let’s see if I can alleviate the suspense about this non-rhyming poem I wrote and tried desperately to show but it kept getting eaten by the ether.
Barbara

  MAJESTY
by Barbara Hammel

You must be Atlas reincarnate.
You're old -- your hair and beard are white.
You stand there holding up the sky,
The weight of it has worn your shoulders bare,
Bits of its azure brightness flake off
And cascade in streams and falls over your body,
Nurturing your robe of evergreen hue.
Sometimes your breath wraps around your head
A veil of privacy for a while
Hiding your eyes from the man-made things
Where your feet are firmly planted.
Some day you, too, will tire of the burden.
You'll shrug, and the shift of weight
Will force your life-blood to pour
In torrents of flowing heat and fire.

Writing free verse is like playing tennis with the net down.--Robert Frost