[stylist] another new list member

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 16 05:06:51 UTC 2014

Bonnie,

Welcome to the list. New Zealand is one of the places my hubby and I
hope to travel to one day. It's just gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous there.

I love any genre writers joining the list. Though all my published work
has so far been personal essays and memoirs, I'm secretly a fantasy
writer in the making, smile. In my spare time, I like to work on fantasy
stories, mostly urban fantasies. I have my BFA in creative writing, and
saddly, in most writing programs, genre writing is frowned upon unless
disguised as magical realism. So for years, I rarely wrote what I wanted
to, and while I received good marks, I wasn't writing what I wanted most
the time. So in the past few years, I've worked more on my fiction
though I continue to have nonfiction published, so I split my time
between the two. It's still nice to write what I want, how I want. Some
people have this idea that if it's not literary fiction, it's no good,
but I've read lots of genre fiction that's very well-written, and while
most literary fiction is well-written in terms of craft, often these
writers don't know how to tell a story.

Admitedly, I'm not a huge romance novel reader, but in recent years,
I've developed a guilty pleasure for tongue-in-cheek Regency romance
novels and fantasy romance novels. The Mac O' Connor chronicals and the
para-normal romances of Jane Ann Krentz (one of her many pen names) are
my favorites.

Looking forward to seeing more of you on the list.

Bridgit