[stylist] Poem - "Blake" - First Draft

William L Houts via stylist stylist at nfbnet.org
Wed Jun 4 20:24:32 UTC 2014

HI Poets, Novelists and Severe-Eyed Critics:

Here's a poem I wrote the day before yesterday.  It's basically a poem
about being a poet, with nods to our illustrious forebear, William
Blake.  There's lots of literary stuff in this one, but I think it
should be fairly easy to read.

--Bill

---

Marooned on the isle  of 3am,

counting my litter of skullborn runts,

once I could win with these infant hounds;

now I'm not so gall as to call them gold.

My hoard is heaped with sighs, my eye with woe.

O for Blake to show, that soul of rhyme,

that captain cool and strange;

O for him to come ashore and put me straight,

to say:"From one Bill to the next, your text

is wild with thrashing whales, your rhyme

beguiles, and sonnets sail for isles as rare

as dreaming X." My eyes would go from glum

to glee, and set my hand to setting down

some fervent verse, some sonnet skullblaze free:

as high as swans,as bread as Easter's rising.

copyright William L. houts 2014
United States of America
All rights Reserved

--