[stylist] Poem - "Blake" - First Draft

Jackie Williams jackieleepoet at cox.net
Thu Jun 5 03:53:17 UTC 2014

Bill,
Before I comment on your poem which  is  a marvelous Ars Poetica, I have
spent inordinate time googling your comment at the end. The quote comes from
a song, in which the favor is "Kill." I cannot help wondering why you picked
this quotation. I realize Shredni Vashti's God was a polecat/ferret that
killed hens among many other evil acts. He asked that one favor, "Kill."
Your poems provide an education in so many things. William Blake could take
several years of study to appreciate his many talents, accomplishments,
other than poetry, and his revolutionary and dissonant character. I have
just waded through Dante's Inferno, and never knew that William Blake had
made his illustrations so much a part of some of the cantos.
To your poem. It is filled with beautiful lines and thoughts and near
metaphors, at the same time, some with turbulence. The internal rhyme holds
it all together. I have not read William Blake's poetry, but you must have
patterned this poem after his style.
I love the challenges you give us with your unusual words, quotes, and
references. You are so prolific that if we were to critique every poem in
depth, we would find ourselves well-educated poets with  a larger
vocabulary.
Why do you address us all as "blinks?" Are the blind known for blinking more
than sighted persons?

Jackie Lee

Time is the school in which we learn.
Time is the fire in which we burn.