[stylist] Poem - "Blake" - First Draft

William L Houts lukaeon at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 13:52:14 UTC 2014

HI Jackie,

Thanks so much for your gracious comments.  Yes, I admire William Blake
for his many accomplishments, and for my sense of him as someone who
truly became himself, spiritually and artistically.  I understand that
he was rather a strange bird to his contemporaries and so I easily
relate to him on that level, ha.

I use "blinks" as a salutation simply because I heard it's an informal
slang for blind people, without any derogatory sense attached to it.
But if it bothers you or anyone else, I'll immediately look for a
different greeting.  No sense in ruffling feathers on an otherwise
congenial list.

Congratulations are in order to you for recognizing the quote from the
Saki short story.  It's one of his more famous tales, of course, but
people don't read so much Saki anymore, taken as they are with watching
"House of Cards", "Criminal Minds" and such.  I can't say that I have
any particular reason for using it as a quote other than that "Sredni
Vashtar" s one of my favorite short stories.

Again, thanks so  much for taking the time to comment on a bit of work
I'm feeling pretty good about right now.  I've  had the first two lines
or so in mind for the better part of a year and finally settled down to
discover what poem they might belong to a few days ago; I'm somewhat
relieved to have finally found the right home for it, if you know what I
mean.  I'm so glad that it does resonate with you and our Mr. Chris.

--Bill

--

"Do one thing for me, Sredni Vashtar!"

           --Saki