[stylist] lgbt and NFB

kec92 at ourlink.net kec92 at ourlink.net
Thu Mar 13 19:10:04 UTC 2014

Hey,

I didn't know that there was even a secret meeting of LGBTQ folks. I
wish I had known about it. To me, Some of the NFB folks do seems very
conservative. For me, I am currently writing a play about a bisexual,
transgender male and the struggles he faces where he lives. For me,
there is not enough discussion around bisexual and transgender issues. I
have many friends that are LGBTQ+ and from my experience, they did not
choose to be the way that they are. The play that I am writing is for
them. I know several LGBTQ+ people who also have a disability, and for
them, it can be a bit isolating because much of the disabled world and
much of the LGBTQ+ world don't accept them. Some of my recent writings
have been dedicated to them. When I get further along in the play, I can
send it out to this list for everyone to read. Is this okay with
everyone else?

Katie

On 13.03.2014 12:38, Atty Rose wrote:

> People can't still really believe that, can they?
>
> Atty shakes her head and wanders off.

 e:
[stylist] gay protag This reminds me of a workshop I attended years ago with an agent named Joan Timberlake, who supports LGBT authors. I wrote a piece about it and submitted it to Slate & Style, but I don't think it was ever published. It's been so long that I have no idea what she's up to now, but I liked her. Donna -----Original Message----- From: stylist [mailto:stylist-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Atty Rose Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 11:32 AM To: Writer's Division Mailing List Subject: [stylist] gay protag Hi there, Some agents might be very in to it and there are also GBLT friendly publishers also. Don't give up on it just cause he or she is gay! Timing is everything. There is a huge movement around same sex couples getting rights, and though there are still people who discriminate our society is evolving to higher thinking all the time. There is a nitch for it and if you search out some of the publishers that accept lesbian and gay lit, some of them don't even
  require
agents. Write on, Atty ----- Original Message ----- From: "William L Houts" <lukaeon at gmail.com> To: "Writer's Division Mailing List" <stylist at nfbnet.org> Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 9:57 AM Subject: Re: [stylist] Introduction HI Thea, No, the first novel is a bit of a train wreck, and has a gay protag anyway, so I couldn't get agents interested in it. I think the novel I'm working on now has a lot more going for it so I'm focusing on that for the moment. I read your post about the scam you've lived through and enjoyed it, if that's the right word. It made me so angry, the way most human beings are trusting and trustworthy while some few are manipulative vampires. Your piece is so rich with the sense of human warmth, as with the people in the restaurant, contrasted with the scamsters. I look forward to more of your writing. --Bill On 3/11/2014 8:37 AM, Miss Thea wrote: Mister Bill, I'm a new kid, too. Name's Thea, live in Ontario. Did you get your first novel published? I
 don't
know if writing if better than the things you mentioned, but it comes pretty close. It's like theater. First, things look like they're never going to come through, then after so many re-writes you want to scream, the magic happens. It's like chocolate ice cream you have to make yourself, and wild sex between two old married people. It can happen; it just needs help. LOL Thea -----Original Message----- From: William L Houts Sent: Monday, March 10, 2014 12:24 PM To: Writer's Division Mailing List Subject: [stylist] Introduction Hi Stylists, Just joined the group and it looks very promising; I'm looking forward to interesting chats with y'alls. I write poetry and fiction, and am currently about midway through my second (as yet unpublished) novel, which I label as literary fantasy. I can easily say without feeling silly that writing, at least on that incredible sleigh ride we sometimes experience where word meets rhythm meets metaphor and you feel like your mind is made of lightn
 ing and
rainis my favorite thing in the world: better than chocolate ice cream, better than hot raunchy sex, better than anything. IN the meantime, though, I'm looking forward to some smart sassy talk with some smart sassy new friends. Cheers, everybody. --Bill _______________________________________________ Writers Division web site http://writers.nfb.org/ [1] stylist mailing list stylist at nfbnet.org http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/stylist_nfbnet.org [2] To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for stylist:

http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/stylist_nfbnet.org/thearamsay%40rogers.com
[6]

 _______________________________________________ Writers Division web
http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/stylist_nfbnet.org/applebutterhill%40gmail
[7] .com _______________________________________________ Writers
[2] To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info
for stylist:
http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/stylist_nfbnet.org/thearamsay%40rogers.com
[6] _______________________________________________ Writers Division web
unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for
stylist:
http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/stylist_nfbnet.org/programmer651%40comcast.net
[8] _______________________________________________ Writers Division web

http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/stylist_nfbnet.org/kec92%40ourlink.net