[stylist] JAWS and Our Craft

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 14 04:35:28 UTC 2014

You would think this, but as an editor, I read several pieces written by
screenreader users, and their writing is still appalling, LOL!

But yes, as a person who relies mostly on JAWS for writing and editing,
I think it actually can work to my advantage. It depends on your comfort
level with screenreaders though.

At university, I was often asked to help classmates during small groups
with the technical aspect of their writing. We worked in small groups
like this often, and the instructor placed each of us for specific
reasons within the group. One of us had a strength in character
development, some with sentence structure, etc. I usually was placed for
writing dialogue, dream sequences and editing, which is pretty cool
considering I'm blind. Once my profs. Got to know me and my writing,
they realized I wasn't so different from my sighted classmates.

Bridgit