[stylist] JAWS and Our Craft

Applebutter Hill applebutterhill at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 23:32:38 UTC 2014

Bridgit,
I'm sure that Jaws won't make anyone be a good writer, but it does have
advantages, and we might as well celebrate them. That said, I think that
there are a few things that screen reader users do that tend to blurr the
advantages. The most important is the speed. I know people who read at a
high rate of speed. Heck, I do it myself sometimes. But, when you're
editing, this is essentially shooting yourself in the foot. You're flying by
so fast that you aren't noticing that the sentence structures would add more
to the piece if they were subtly varied. You also probably miss the subtle
differences in Jaws' pronunciation that would alert you to the fact that
you've used the wrong word.
Donna