[stylist] A Nervy Newcomer Fusses was(Some stuff which got deleted)

William L Houts lukaeon at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 22:15:06 UTC 2014

Hi Bridgit and All,

I think Bridgit makes a valuable point here.  And the point is that
poetry, in general, is undervalued and undertaught.  IN high school, and
even in college, you read your Robert Frost, your John Keats and call it
good.  I consider myself fairly sophisticated in my poetics, but even I
haven't read nearly the volume and variety of poetry which would teach
me much and serve me well as a writer, and as a critic.

If I may make a little fuss about the poetry criticism I see on the
list; it sometimes seems a little bit literal and a little bit
unforgiving.  Actually, this isn't quite correct.  I'm not talking about
the actual critiques which I read here;  they're generally cordial and
respectful when considered word for word.  But I'm picking up a kind of
hammer and nails literalism, and perhaps a bit of a failure to wrestle
with poems to see what can be gotten from them once they've been given a
first casual look.

Because it's fresh in my mind, I bring up here something which came up
with my Poem, "Antoinette".  Now, I'm pleased with that poem, though
it's probably not going to net me any Wallace Stevens Awards for Lyric
Excellence.  But I note that two readers noted that they couldn't figure
out why the heck it had "Antoinette" as its title.  ON both occasions, I
explained that this poem is about global poverty, and about the
Speaker's relationship to it.  Now, maybe this is expecting too much,
but I had thought that most people were acquainted with the historical
account of the grossly overprivileged Marie Antoinette declaring "Let
them eat cake!" in reference to the thousands dying of starvation in
Paris streets. And I made the guess --seemingly incorrect-- that most
intelligent readers could make the connection between the historical
arrogant princess and the notes I was making about poverty in the modern
world.  ON both occasions, I explained about Marie Antoinette, and cake,
yadda yadda yadda.  But it does make me wonder if there's a kind of
laziness dogging our heels here; some disinclination to work with the
poem and find what honey can be derived from that hive, rather than
assuming that the poet simply doesn't know what he or she is doing.

(Oh, now you're in for it, Bilbo Baggins!)

--Bill