[stylist] poetry

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 20 03:58:47 UTC 2014

For me, Stephan King is one of the authors who sometimes gets it so
right and other times, not so much. He's like a national treasure
though, smile.

Okay, this list is extensive because I happen to currently have my books
I have read list up, grin.

I find Young Adult authors to write some of the best books and
characters. Even though I'm in my 30's, I continue to read YA novels,
finding myself pleasantly surprised most the time. Beast, Zel and Song
of the Magdalene by Donna Jo Napoli are amazing. Holly Black is a great,
contemporary YA author; in particular, I like her style of writing. The
Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer are really good YA SciFi, and I
usually am not into this genre, but this series takes a new spin by
applying fairytale characters like Cinderella and Little Red Riding Hood
and placing in a realistic but SciFi universe. Most of the Discworld
novels by Terry Pratchett are great and very humorous. The Folk Keeper
by Franny Billingsley is considered a modern classic and after reading
it, you understand why. Just beautiful in its prose, and descriptive
details leaving you captivated. The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaimon is a
great modern classic. Modeled after the Jungle Book, Gaimon proves why
he can cross ages with his writing. Cassandra Clare is another urban
fantasy novelist I've recently discovered. Her Mortal Instruments series
are a bit Twilightish, though much better, also recently adapted into a
film, but her Infernal Devices series is very well-written and has
really great, relatable protagonists. After reading The Girl who
Circumvented Fairyland and in a Ship of Her own Making by Catherine M
Valente, I couldn't stop talking about it. A must read for children,
teens and adults alike. A great modern fairytale.

Fantasy and SciFi/Speculative fiction: The Wind Up Girl by Paolo
Bacigaoupi, which is speculative fiction, is amazing. Realistic,
beautifully written and had my attention from beginning to end.  For
those Tolkien fans who love epics, check out Blood Song: Raven's Shadow
by Anthony Ryan. This is the first book in what will be a trilogy. Great
story with a fantastic main character. The second book is suppose to
release later this year. Two fantasy novels that changed my life are
American Gods by Neil Gaimon and The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey
Niffenegger. Forever by Pete Hamil, which borders fantasy with magical
realism and works in tandem with historical fiction. Really, really good
with a great main character, especially great if you enjoy history.

Historical fiction: Midwives by Chris Bohjalian, was on my to-read list
for a long, long time, and when I finally read it, I couldn't put it
down. Just captivating and suspenseful to the end.  Becoming Madame Mau
by Anchee Min is a really good piece of historical fiction. I love the
way it was written. Unique in it's style but good. March by Geraldine
Brooks is fantastic. Takes a fictional character and brings them to life
with history acting as a backdrop. Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
captivated me from page one. I fell in love with this book. The film was
good, but as is usually the case, the book is better.

Nonfiction: A Mighty Heart: The Brave Life and Death of My Husband,
Danny Pearl by Mariane Pearl and Sarah Crichton, is still stuck in my
head, and I read it two months ago. Just well-written and
heart-wrenching piece of narrative nonfiction. My Lucky Life in and out
of Show business: A Memoir by Dick Van Dyke, is not only well-written,
but it contrast humor with insightfulness, and you learn a lot about
this well-known man. Home: A Memoir of my Early Years by Julie Andrews,
is another celebrity memoir that's surprisingly well-written. Almost
lyrical at times, and so fascinating to learn about yet another
celebrity you think you know. Nine Parts of Desire by Geraldine Brooks
is one of my all-time fav narrative nonfiction books. Literary
journalism at its best. Brooks is a great writer, but when you read her
nonfiction, you realize this is home for her. Argo: How the CIA and
Hollywood Pulled off the Most Audacious Rescue in History by Antonio J.
Mendez and Matt Baglio, is a fascinating look into the CIA and a
specific case. I enjoyed the book way better than the film. Unbearable
Lightness by Portia DeRossi was profound for me. First, very
well-written; second, a heart-breaking story, one I identified with. The
Woman Warrior: Memoirs of a Girlhood Among Ghost by Maxine Hong Kingston
is probably the most influential piece of nonfiction I've read. This
book completely changed how I approach my own nonfiction.

Literary fiction: Winter's Bone by Daniel Woodrell is the type of book I
hope to write one day. The prose is lyrical at times, the protag great
and the story is just full of pathos and life.

Classics: My all-time fav that I read once a year is Wuthering Heights
by Emily Bronte. I just lose myself in the book each time. Great
Expectations is another classic I love. Pip as a character is such a
relatable protag, and you just want to go on this journey with him.
Estella also makes me feel something even though she's a heinous bitch
for most the book, grin. One-hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia
Marquez is another book that changed my life. Maybe not quite a classic,
but I think it will continue to be read as time goes on. The Anne of
Green Gables and Emily of New Moon series by Lucy Maud Montgomery have
always been on my top of favs. I read these from time to time. As a
child, I totally related to Anne. Of course Catcher in the Rye is not
only a great contemporary story that's still relatable today, but it's
one of the novels that changed how contemporary novelist approach their
craft. David Copperfield is another Dickens novel I really like. I find
myself feeling young David's plight throughout the book. Many of Dickens
novels are sappy and romantic, indicative of the time, but Expectations
and Copperfield have more life and complexity. The Age of Innocence and
House of Mirth by Edith Wharton are two absolutely must-have's on my
list. House of Mirth in particular is a book I pick up frequently.