[stylist] writing about blindness

Lynda Lambert llambert at zoominternet.net
Sat Mar 22 13:34:30 UTC 2014

Yes, in Atty's case of dating I would put it out front, too, because that is
taking things to a personal level and it is a  good way of sifting through
the stupids, to get to the ones that would be desirable as possible dating
partners. It's interesting how others know just what we should be writing
about, too, isn't it!  We should be writing about whatever has captured our
imagination and our passion at the time.

When it comes to our families, we probably all have situations that are
difficult no matter how long we have had loss of sight.
I now say, I have sight loss, but not loss of vision - because my vision is
strong as ever.
We all have to deal with dense people don't we!  My oldest daughter still
tells me I do not need to use my mobility cane because I "can see things."
My vision is "off the chart" and at my eye appointment yesterday, my range
of very cloudy vision is 2 feet in one eye, 3 feet in the other, with no
detail and no colors, and standing in a fog that never lifts. Yes, no one
who looks at me would have any indication I have eye problems, because it is
not my eyes at all that are affected, it is my optic never which is not my
eyes. I have a nearly photographic memory for space so once I have walked
through any space, I have it memorized, so it appears that I see everything
around me - but I do not at all.

My daughter will take every opportunity to tell me I do not need to be using
my cane - after almost 7 years now.
After a recently art opening where she helped as part of my sales/reception
team, she later made a lot of nasty comments about another blind woman who
came to
"See" my show.  My daughter ranted about how that woman could see perfectly
and how stupid it is that she was using a cane, after all, "she came right
up to look at the art."
In my daughters opinion, people who use a white cane are just pretending to
be blind. I know, it is utterly stupid. There really is no response that can
be offered to such insulting and ignorant comments - even when it is one's
own child who does it - she is 51 years old, btw.  And, the other woman she
was talking about is a mobility instructor, who is blind. Go figure!!!!
Lynda