[stylist] writing about blindness

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 23 03:24:48 UTC 2014

Agree.

From: stylist [mailto:stylist-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of
Applebutter Hill
Sent: Saturday, March 22, 2014 10:19 PM
To: 'Writer's Division Mailing List'
Subject: Re: [stylist] writing about blindness

Bridgit,
There seems to be a thing with the sighted that they want to have some
closure about coming to terms with blindness. I suppose it's that way
with a lot of the things that they consider insurmountable. I know there
are books and novels about coming to terms with this or that.
Personally, I don't get it. Blindness isn't something I feel I have to
come to terms with -- at least not in the sense that you go through some
emotional upheaval and ultimately accept it. To me, the bigger issues
are all of the things that we have to learn to deal with, the pity,
humiliation, the negative assumptions. We never know what offensive
reaction we're going to confront next. It goes from the sublime to the
ridiculous, and it can throw a person off track. To me, that's a
life-long issue; there isn't some way of defining it and putting it in a
box and never having to grapple with it again. Donna