[stylist] Slate & Style news

Bridgit Pollpeter via stylist stylist at nfbnet.org
Tue May 13 01:42:06 UTC 2014

Dear Stylist and Division Members:

I want to update members about S & S news. This info is in the current
issue, to release soon, but I wanted to provide a news bite nonetheless.

Slate & Style is currently only available electronically. Our Braille
embosser and distributor, Victor Hemphill, is no longer able to provide
Braille copies.

Victor generously donate his time and the production of Braille copies
to the Division. We are unable at this time to pay for Braille
production as it's costly. Until we find another volunteer or
alternative funding, S & S will only be available electronically.

Slate & Style is always seeking submissions, year-round. Anything from
poetry, short fiction and personal essays/memoirs to articles about
writing. Last year, we unveiled a holiday issue, that was popular. It
was a short issue, but we received great feedback, so we plan to publish
another holiday issue later this year.

This means we need your submissions now. Through October first, we are
accepting submissions for our holiday issue. Submissions can be about a
holiday landing between November first through January first, or at
least take place during this time of year.

While we are not against heart-warming, sappy holiday stories, we also
ask you consider stories that are based in reality; maybe show some
grit. Remember, A Christmas Carol and It's a Wonderful Life may have had
happy endings, but the journey wasn't always happy along the way. Check
out last year's holiday issue to see what was published. You can always
ask us questions .

We also hope to have interesting articles discussing various holidays
happening this time of year. Specific holiday issue guidelines can be
found in each issue of the magazine and on the Division website. So
please check out the guidelines, get writing and get submitting.

The 2014 NFB Writers' writing contest closed April first. Judges are
currently reading entries, and winners will be announced in July, during
the NFB national convention. Look for our second annual contest
anthology to release sometime after convention. All winners will have
their entries published unedited in the anthology.

We are once again seeking an assistant editor for the magazine. Slate &
Style publishes 5 issues a year, including the holiday issue. A month
before publication, we are busy editing and formatting. Assistants may
also be responsible for writing articles or acquiring submissions from
various sources. If you are interested or know someone who might be,
contact me at bpollpeter at hotmail.com for more information.

Last but certainly not least, once again, we are sad to announce the
passing of Lori Stayer. The winter/spring issue features Lori. She was a
great addition to the Division and will be missed.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter, editor, Slate & Style