[stylist] Writing Good Marketing Copy

Bridgit Pollpeter via stylist stylist at nfbnet.org
Thu May 22 02:59:04 UTC 2014

There's various forms of marketing communications, all falling under the
PR umbrella. It depends on what you hope to market and to whom. Various
communications are relied upon beyond print, and TV/radio ads. Feature
stories in publications, news releases and alerts, pitch stories, blog
and social media communications, etc. All and any are used for marketing
purposes. The best thing to do is develop a PR strategy, research types
of communications, and figure out what works best for what you want, or
which communication should be used for specific media outlets. This is
what a PR team would do.

Of course, then there's the actual manipulating of the written word.
Precision and concise writing are your best friend. Communications need
to be clear yet interesting. Proper grammar, punctuation and structure
are equally key. Nothing convaluded, no long, rambling, run-on
sentences. No information over-load. You also might need to research
your target audience too. Great writers are needed for this type of
work.

>From the communications side, I have experience and know what I'm
speaking of, but from the marketing, scientific-like aspect side of it,
well, it's not my forte. Once I know what is required, I know what to
write, but I'm not as familiar with the marketing side in terms of
leading that aspect of the strategy.

Bridgit