[stylist] New poem

Jacobson, Shawn D via stylist stylist at nfbnet.org
Thu May 29 12:24:48 UTC 2014

Barbara

Sorry!  I'm a Cyclone fan regardless.  I got two degrees there.  The first was a BA in Political Science in '81 and the other was a masters in Statistics in '83.  My aunt worked at Iowa State for 30 years; she was very influential in me going there (a different story) LOL.

When I was there, the celebration was beginning to degenerate into what it is now.  The thing was, people mostly got drunk in the dorms or out in the woods (away from downtown) and you didn't have thousands of people in a drunken mob.  I think that what really hurts me about the whole thing is that these are my tribe in a very real sense.  It's not like the riots in Los Angeles or Miami where you can say that it's a different type of people.  These are my own and I must own the storm.

I get the impression that colleges in the '40's and '50's were more sedate in general than they are now.  They were smaller and less democratic.  I was in college at a time when you could be in student government and not do the tea dance thing (I kind of did the Friday night keg party thing).  How I survived the place I will never know, but I loved my time there.

Once again, thanks for the good words about this poem.  Don't see where I can publish it except among the group.

Shawn