[stylist] Poem - "Paper Minds" - Second Draft

William L Houts lukaeon at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 02:59:11 UTC 2014

--
Hey Blinks,

Wrote this one last night, and since then have gone through it several times.  It interests me in particular because the idea of the "paper mind" has been orbiting my mind for many years and I've just now done something about  it. That, among other things, is what poets are for, I guess.

--Bill

---

Paper Minds

Poet of a certain age, I once wrote

on paper, luxurious and grinning

in the grip of my pen,

meeting the page like some

rocket landing on the thinnest of moons

and wild with letters aborning.

So styling,I took receipt

of high diverse news:of dreaming dogs,

of purple suns, of killers wielding flower guns.

a doctor of strangest truths,

or so it seems to me.

And thus I've hatched a hundred

poems, or maybe three.And reading

them, I found they knew their subjects

better than I, as though the silvery

fish gave lessons on reels and rods

to shocked and fainting anglers.

Therefore, I sometimes call my child of pen,

my poem, a paper mind:

it knows so much of dreads

and raptures full of rampant sight,

I stamd in gladnessof

thesegoddess works, brow-born, fast

and fierce as eagles on the wing.

These poems might know what I do not, I sing,

and offer wise which can't be taught.

"Oh, Sophie!  Whyfore have you eated all de cheeldren?"